Underwood & Underwood pioneered the sale of boxed stereograph sets to homes, businesses, and libraries. In 1892, B. Lloyd Singley, a salesman for Underwood & Underwood during his time as a student at Allegheny College, began to operate the Keystone View Company out of his house in Meadville, PA. There was intense competition between Keystone and Underwood & Underwood not only for sales, but also to recruit college students as salesmen each year. The two companies were the main purveyors of military stereoviews in the USA; both produced exclusively paper stereoviews, although Keystone also made glass magic lantern slides from halves of the stereo images. A smaller company, Presko Binocular Co. of Chicago, produced paper stereoviews during the war. After the war, W. E. Troutman, Inc., Reading, PA, produced a set of 300 paper stereoviews, and Fisherview, Pittsburgh, PA, sold a set of 72 glass views.
During the war, the Committee on Public Information maintained strict control over publication of war-related matter, including stereoviews. The government produced thousands of stereoviews for distribution to the public at cost. The propaganda effort was equally reflected in the stereoviews produced by private manufacturers.
Copyright © 2007 Great War Photos. All rights reserved